Fabricating a good Mallet Splint can be deceptively difficult. The Mallet-style Tip Protector splint is a nice option since it holds the DIP joint in position from both the volar and dorsal aspects.
- Using thin splinting material, shape into an hour-glass pattern.
- Length should extend from the dorsal PIP to the volar PIP.
- If no avulsion fracture is present, place the DIP joint into hyperextension while molding the splint.
- Trim the edges to allow for edema fluctuations and full PIP AROM.
- Secure with velcro or coban wrap.